Thursday, March 14, 2013

Grammar + Dorm Tour - boring days!

I took a couple of days hiatus from blog-writing.
Tuesday was, I think, a fairly boring day and yesterday I didn't feel like typing for an hour and instead spent the evening making dinner, skyping and reviewing grammar.

On Tuesday, we reviewed the Konjunktiv II case in German. (I think it's called the subjunctive in English, if it even exist)
 For the most part, you use it be polite in German. That is, you can conjugate the verbs for "can" and "will" into "could" and "would". I also remembered that you can conjugate the word "haben" which is the verb "to have" into the form "haetten" and use the word "gern" which is "like" and you can form sentences such as:
  Ich HAETTE GERN mehr Geld.   = I would (really) like to have more money.

But those are just 2 functions of the Konjunctive II cases.
I learned on Tuesday that in total, there are 9!

3) Bedauern (regrets)
         - Wenn ich doch mehr Geld verdient haette!  = If only I had made more money.
4) Hypothese (hypothesis)
        - Wenn ich ein  Job haette, wuerde ich Geld verdienen. = If I had a job, I would earn money.
     or: Wenn ich ein besseres Job gehabt haette, hatte ich mehr Geld verdient.
                        = If I had had a better job, I would have made more money.
5) Vorwurf (Reproach)
         - Ich haette mein Geld sparen sollen. = I should have saved my money.
6) Rat, Empfehlung (advice)
            - Ich sollte mehr Geld sparen. = I should save more money.
      or:  - An deiner Stelle, wuerde ich ein Job finden. = In your position, I would find a job.
      or:  - Wenn ich Arbeitslos waere, wuerde ich nichts kaufen.
                          = If I were jobless, I would buy nothing.
7) Vorschlag (suggestion)
          - ich koennte ein neues Job suchen.  = I could search for a new Job.
8)Irrealischer Vergleich ( non realistic comparison (?) )
              - Du siehst als ob du kein Geld verdient haette.  = You look as though you earned no money.
         or: - Er tut so, als wuerde er kein Job haben. = He acts as though he does not have a job.
9) Wahrscheinlichkeit (probablility)
             - Ich musste mein Geld nach Hause vergessen haben.
             - Ich duerfte mein Geld nach Hause vergessen haben.
             - Ich koennte mein Geld nach Hause vergessen haben.
           = I must/may/could have forgotten my money at home.

END TUESDAY'S LESSON


Wednesday consisted of reviewing uses of Prepositions >.<
   It's so complicated getting them all straight. I mean I know what they mean and what cases to use with each one (Akkusativ, Dativ or Genetiv), and I know which pairs of verbs and prepositions go together in certain cases;
   Angst haben + vor   = to be afraid of
  sorgen + fuer            = to care for
   freuen + auf              = to look forward to
...
 But then we get into the situation of wanting to say "on" or "in" and sometimes "of" In German, there is a preposition "in" which does mean the same as in English, except when you want to say something like "in the photo..." because then you have to say "auf" which can also be used to say "auf Deutsch" as in "in German" but can also be used how we would use "on" Then there's a preposition called "von" which most people may recognize as meaning "from" or "of" BUT if you want to say "I come from the USA" then you have to say "Ich komme AUS der USA" . anyway, these are rules that I knew already, but in practice they sometimes get jumbled up.
By the way, if you are curious, these are all the prepositons I am familiar with:
Akkusativ case:
   durch, fuer, gegen, ohne, um

Dativ:
    aus, ausser, bei, mit, nach, seit, von, zu

Changing (between akk and dat)
    an, auf, in, hinter, neben, ueber, unter, vor, zwischen

Genetiv:
    wegen, innerhald, waehrend, trotz, ausserhalb
There are also some super formel sounding ones for Gen case: aufgrung, infolge, angesichts, anlaessichs.

Anyway, here are some really boring pictures of my dorm to give you an idea of how depressing this building is:


 looking out my bedroom door into the cement hallway/stairwell

 looking down the half flight of stairs- sorry it's so blurry. At the bottom landing straight ahead is a wall height window, that looks out at another concrete building.

if you turn right at the landing, you see this: Red door to the kitchen, and again to the right is the 2nd half flight of stairs to go down to the next floor.

This is what you see when you walk straight through the kitchen door. to the right is the actual kitchen part, but past the kitchen is the small lounge area

to the right as you walk through the door
 

lounge area. I don't know why this one is blurry, but basically there's a couch, some chairs and 2 tables, as well as a really nice outdoor terrace thing, but it was night time outside.

looking back toward the kitchen from the lounge. Here's the fridge, freezer, and tv
 
 


 

1 comment:

  1. ahhh didn't see this one~

    but I'm glad I was patrollin' on through the past posts because I always like seeing places where people live! Pictures are better than imaginings, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete